Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Graphic Felt Coasters

These are something I found in one of monthly subscriptions.  I'll be honest, they're a bit of a job, especially the cutting.. The designs are quite intricate and therefore there's quite a bit of sewing to be done as well... But the end result is stunning!





These are the four I've made for my own home.. Seeing that they were for us, I used remnants of felt, and went for a mixture of colours...I love bright clashing colours.
And with Christmas season approaching, I'm thinking to whip up a few Christmassy ones in Christmassy colours.... Red & green, blue and white, for a cool, chillaxed feel, red and cream for a Scandi Christmas

Now I know..you're thinking..coasters in felt..seriously??? You know, coasters sit under glasses and they do tend to get spills on them.. They will get stained...
You're right, of course... That is what would generally happen. But i be found a neat little way of preventing this from happening... Spraying my work with the spray used for waterproofing suede shoes.. A small trick that can protect your coasters from minor spillages, as the water tends to bead up hen fabrics have been treated in this manner.
One last things... Please make sure your suede waterproof sprat is neutral, ie. colourless... I cannot imagine that black or brown spattered coasters would be very popular...not unless you're Bert in Mary Poppins, anyway.
Also, while this treatment does offer a certain amount of waterproofing, it will not protect against massive spillages, so don't throw caution to the wind when using these coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment