Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 17 March 2015

MIY session 5 - Cork Statement 'bib' Necklace

This is another recycling project I've worked on that basically cost next to nothing. The only item I had to buy for this project is the ribbon I used. Only 3mm wide, it only costs 20p/25c per metre, which is really next to nothing. This cool project gives you a great excuse to drink decent wine.
Plus, when it's finished you will have a really cool statement necklace that will attract its fair share of attention. Trust me; been there myself.

What you need:-
 approx. 5 m x 3mm width ribbon (in your choice of colour)
 4 – 5 wine corks (they must be actual cork, NOT the plasticky ones)
 craft knife (if you don not have a craft knife, a fillet knife works just as well, as you an see from my pictures)
 needle and thread
 leather hole punch


1. Using your craft knife, slice up a cork into slices no thicker than 3mm. You might be surprised at the ease with which you can cut up your cork, cleanly and sharply. This is why they need to be actual cork. The plasticky ones will not slice easily at all, and you will end up with ragged edges. Also, a word of caution ..be careful you don’t lop part of your finger off by mistake. Cut up as many disks as you will need for your design. I cut up fifteen, since I planned to create a triangle shaped ‘bib’.

2. Using the leather hole punch on a medium to small setting, punch two holes on opposite sides of each disk.


3. Once all the disks have been punched, lay them out in your chosen design. I knew what layout I wanted for my necklace, so I took a picture of my design before I punched the cork disks.


 4. Grab the red ribbon and pass it through the first row of corks. At this stage it is important that you pass it in the same manner through the holes every single time. Also, be careful that the ribbon does not get all twisted. If that happens the corks will not lay flat in a ‘bib’ manner.


 5. Repeat the process for every row of corks in the design you have chosen.


6. When all the rows of corks have been threaded through with ribbon your design (assuming you are making a triangle shaped ‘bib’ like me) should look something like this.

 7. Now for the tricky bit..securing the ribbon ends to the corks. I chose to secure the ribbons to the corks be creating a loop and binding the two ribbons together with a couple of stitches each time (the photos show how I did it). However, if pressed for time, a single drop of superglue works just as well. Just be careful not to stick your own finger to the cork.



Turn each row of corks over so that the front of your ‘bib’ is face down.
Place a drop of superglue at the end of the first row of corks, and secure the ribbon to it.
Do the same for the other end of the row.
Repeat for all the rows of corks in your design.
You now have (in my case) five rows of corks. You may have more or less, depending on the size and shape of your design.


 10.  It is now time to pull the whole design together as one whole rather than as a set of unconnected rows. Working quickly and carefully, apply a dot of superglue to the sides of your cork disks where they will touch the next row.

11. Stick the first row to the second one. Repeat for the remaining rows, till all the rows have been glued to each other. You should now have a solid triangle-shaped (in my case) ‘bib’. Now all that remains is to attach a ribbon that will allow you to tie the ‘bib’ around your neck


12. Insert a piece of ribbon approx. 40 cm long into the final hole on each end of the corks in the topmost row. The ribbon will be folded over at the loop, and will come up as a double ribbon to tie round your neck. I chose to sew the clasp from an old string of beads to complete my necklace, but you do not have to do this. It is perfectly okay to tie the ribbons up around your neck in vintage style.

13. You can now add sequins or beads to your design if you wish… I left mine plain, since I liked the way the roughness of the cut corks works with the smoothness of the satin ribbon. And now your necklace is ready to wear.. ta dah!!



 A little footnote about the ribbon you use.. it must be pretty narrow since the holes are not large. Remember our cork disks are basically the same size as a 5p/10Euro cent coin. Also, a word about the colour of ribbon you use. Most colours work well with the colour and texture of cork. I used red here since it was what I wanted, but I am sure that turquoise ribbon, for example would look particularly striking against the brownish colour of the cork.

How did you enjoy today's project? Write in and let me know what you think please.

5 comments:

  1. Love how the photos accompany the instructions and it makes it all so clear and easier to follow. Great work, Maria! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Min. It is good that you find the tutorial easy to follow.

      Delete
  2. Always love these DIY tutorials ... Great work Marija xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reb, Glad you like them. If there is anything you'd like to see in the future please let me know.

      Delete
  3. If there is anything particular you would like to see, please do let me know.. My medium is mainly sewing and stitching but I do dabble in other areas as well.. I try to give all of my stuff that personalised touch even flat-packed furniture ;)

    ReplyDelete